Financial grants for families for uncovered medical expenses
Truth is stranger than fiction. The grim truth and reality of COVID-19, currently playing across the world, has exacted a heavy toll on all with its impact on health, business and life. Everyone is hurting but the most vulnerable and marginalized in the society are hurting the most.
The community of people with autism and neuro-developmental disorders has taken a disproportionate hit due to loss of employment, income, ongoing therapies, and critical staff and aides for those dependent on support for activities of daily living. Many day programs and home services have shut down, leaving families with the heavy burden of caring for their loved ones with high support needs all by themselves. What makes matters worse is that the community that has always grappled with a higher prevalence of co-occurring health challenges is at risk for serious COVID-19, regardless of age, compared to the general population per CDC (read more).
We need your help. Please donate to the BRAIN CARES special needs assistance program to support healthcare expenses of low-income individuals and families with autism and neuro-developmental disorders in the US.
Every $1 donated becomes $2, thanks to a generous match by our anonymous donors, for the first $10,000 donated towards this cause.
BRAIN CARES (COVID Assistance and Resources) Special Needs Assistance Program is the first-of-its-kind, nationwide, financial grants program launched by the BRAIN Foundation for US based, low-income individuals and families with autism or neuro-developmental disabilities suffering from hardship due to uncovered healthcare expenses arising due to COVID-19 pandemic.
The number of families that can be helped by this program depends on the amount raised through our fundraising campaign. So, please share this webpage as widely as possible.
Individuals or families with autism and/or neurodevelopmental disabilities with annual 2019 gross income no more than
- $45,000 (single filing with no dependents) or
- $80,000 (married filing jointly with dependents) or
- Death of an earning member in the family in 2020 due to any illness or accident.
Costs that are typically eligible for Health Savings Accounts(HSAs), Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs), Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts (HC-FSAs) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Amounts are eligible for reimbursement with appropriate documentation. In short, most uncovered medical expenses are eligible.
Documentation required for proof of need:
● Letter of diagnosis of autism or neurodevelopmental disability for individual or family member (School IEP evaluation or doctor letter)
● Statement of requested amount
● Letter of medical necessity from physician /prescription
● Tax returns for 2019 (portion showing before tax income)
● In the case of death, a death certificate
Financial Support and Other Policy Details
● Maximum payout of $300 per individual or family member with autism/neurodevelopmental disability (till funds last)
● Additional funds may be available depending on the total amount raised and demonstration of extenuating circumstances
Last date for submission of applications is May 15, 2020.
Decisions will be e-mailed to all applicants by June 15, 2020.
You will need a Gmail account to use this form. For any questions or issues, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are staffed by volunteers who are also taking care of their families during this pandemic, so please allow us some time to get back to you.